Sunday, April 22, 2012

Veggie Quesadillas for Earth Day



I wanted to do something primarily using vegetables for earth day, so I decided on these quesadillas. I made them one night just for myself with just ingredients I had on hand, but loved them so much that I added a few more ingredients and made them again the next night for me and my husband.

On a different note, the difficult thing about blogging is that you have to do it ahead of time.  I am scheduling this to post on Earth Day, but clearly I had to have done them before or you wouldn't be able to wake up to this post.  And really, if you are posting anything more complicated than this, it should be done even further ahead so that anyone who wants to make it has plenty of time to plan ahead.  So, that brings me to a question, what am I actually doing/eating on Earth Day?  Well, I have not completely decided, but I do know that I will have homemade yogurt waiting in the oven when I get up, and that I plan to make this new granola recipe to have with it.  The granola recipe has no added fat.  Obviously, there is some fat in the nuts and even a small amount in the fruit, oats, etc., but there is no added oil or butter.  Anyway, if it is good, I will post about it later in the week.  So, what are you doing/eating for Earth Day?

Veggie Quesadillas
Serves 2

4 corn tortillas (You could use flour, but I like corn so much better.)
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and mashed
8 oz. mushroom, sliced (I used baby bellas.)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
4.5 oz. baby spinach (This is half a bag of the baby spinach I buy at the local grocery store.)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a combination of Cheddar and Monterey Jack.)
1 Tbsps. vegetable oil, divided

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium.   Add the mushrooms and bell pepper and saute until tender.  Add the garlic and spinach and cook until spinach is very wilted and tender.  Sprinkle a little of the cheese on two of the tortillas.  Spread the same two tortillas with the mashed avocado.  Layer the cooked vegetable mixture on top of the avocado.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese and top the the other two tortillas.  Wipe the original skillet with a clean cloth and then heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.  Carefully add the first quesadilla to the pan.  Cook on one side until the tortilla is just starting to crisp and turn golden.  Use a large spatula to help you flip the quesadilla and cook on the other side until cheese is melted and the other tortilla is just beginning to crisp and turn golden.  Carefully remove to a plate using the spatula and repeat for the other quesadilla.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Veggie Quesadillas for Earth Day

This page has moved to a new address.

Veggie Quesadillas for Earth Day