Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Beach Food Part 2: Key Lime Pie

 

So, the other pie we made on vacation was key lime, which is probably my favorite pie.  I know, two key lime recipes in one week...  I will try not to let it happen again, but I do love key lime!  I even have several other things I would like to try with it, but I will let that wait a while, and if I make them, then they will just have to wait to be posted.


I made this pie just like the original recipe from Spring Creek Restaurant featured in Southern Living from My Recipes, but I am posting it here adapted by doubling it. The taste was perfect! But, as you can see from the photo, it did not nearly fill up the crust.  Seriously, I will definitely make it again, but I will definitely double it, because it looks a bit skimpy.  I, of course, filled the excess with whipped cream, but I would rather have more key lime and then whipped cream on top. Speaking of which, like the peanut butter pie, I used canned whipped cream and a store bought crust due to being out of town and away from my kitchen, but I would definitely do homemade versions of both if were to do it from home.



Key Lime Pie
yield:  8 slices


1 9 inch graham cracker crust
2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
6 egg yolks
4 tsps. key lime zest
1 cup key lime juice
whipped cream for topping


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and key lime zest.  Slowly pour in key lime juice, whisking as you pour.  Continue whisking until the mixture is well combined.  Pour into crust.  Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool 1 hour on a wire rack and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until cold.  To serve, slice into wedges and top with whipped cream.


Source:  slightly adapted from Spring Creek Restaurant featured in Southern Living Magazine from My Recipes







From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Beach Food Part 2: Key Lime Pie

This page has moved to a new address.

Beach Food Part 2: Key Lime Pie