Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken Chili Enchiladas




It has been so long since I made enchiladas and the ones I used to make had canned soup in them.  So, since I am trying not to use that, I went looking for a new recipe.  The first place I looked was on the past Foodie Friends Friday links.  That is where I found this recipe from Lois at Walking on Sunshine.  This sounded good, but my previous recipe had used chicken, and I'm not a huge ground beef fan.  Then I noticed that this was a new version of an original chicken enchilada recipe.  Perfect.  Lois found the recipe here Joyful Momma's Kitchen via Pinterest.  You should definitely check out Walking on Sunshine .  It is an awesome blog, and she even shows step by step photos of her enchiladas.

I have to tell you these are super delicious.  I changed the recipe a bit by using Pepper Jack cheese instead of regular Monterrey Jack cheese.  I also used corn tortillas instead of flour because they have less carbs, more fiber, and honestly, I just like them better.  They have a tendency to fall apart more easily though, making it a little difficult to get them out of the pan, but it is worth it to me.  So, if you like flour tortillas better or want be sure the enchiladas come out in tact, then use them.  I also doubled the recipe and froze them.  Not sure how well that will turn out, but I plan to update this when I do to let you know.


Chicken Chili Enchiladas
yield: 4 servings of three enchiladas

12 corn tortillas
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups Pepper Jack cheese, shredded (It isn't very hot, but if you don't like hot, use Monterrey Jack.)
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese (I think I used a little more than a cup.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in a large skillet.  Stir in flour until there are no lumps.  Gradually add chicken broth stirring until all is well combined and there are no lumps.  Cook until thick and bubbly.  Stir in chilies and sour cream.  Combine chicken and Pepper Jack cheese.  Spread chicken and cheese down the center of each tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down in a 9" x 13" baking dish.  Pour sauce over the enchiladas and top with cheddar cheese.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.  Turn on the broiler and broil just until cheese begins to brown.  This will only take a couple of minutes so watch it carefully.

Source:  Adapted from Walking on Sunshine.

This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.

2 Comments:

At September 17, 2012 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Lois Christensen said...

Don't you love finding a recipe and then changing it to meet your tastes and needs and still coming up with something delicious? Thanks for the shout out. I think I'll put these on our menu for this week! Enjoy your Monday Michelle!

 
At September 29, 2012 at 1:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks wonderful Michelle! Thanks for bringing it to our party this week at FFF!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫: Chicken Chili Enchiladas

This page has moved to a new address.

Chicken Chili Enchiladas